Friday, February 22, 2013
After 67 years, the last of the old guard Main Street merchants will soon be closed for good.
Throughout the years, Main Street has undergone many changes, but arguably, none as radical as this. On March 7, brothers Terry and Bruce Holtje will close their door one final time--the last of the familiar mom-and-pop stores to vacate the western boundary of lower Main Street. Holtje's was the last of the neighborhood places where people could stop in just to catch up on what's going on in town. The last of the neighborhood places where pictures of local legends hang prominently behind the counter. The last of the neighborhood places where the owners knew both your father and mother, and in many cases--even your grandparents. "I told my wife, after 60 years of working in this store, I'm taking the next two months off," Terry Holtje said…
Friday, February 15, 2013
The annual ceremony preceded Thursday’s Mayor and Council regular meeting.
MarK Sulcov officially took over as Fort Lee Fire Chief on Jan. 1, when William Chippane became Deputy Fire Chief and Chris Ipek became Battalion Chief of the Fort Lee Fire Department. All three were officially sworn in and took the oaths of office Thursday—along with First and Second Lieutenants and Captains of the borough’s all-volunteer fire department—at a special ceremony at Borough Hall before the regular meeting of the Fort Lee Mayor and Council. Sulcov replaces 2012 Fire Chief Keith Sabatino, who in his outgoing speech reported to the audience that the department answered 1,536 calls last year--these calls included seven working fires and two major extrications. In addition to fire calls, the department responded to two repel calls…
Friday, January 25, 2013
A broken pipe at the Colony causes flooding and severe water damage in apartments.
Fort Lee Fire Chief Marc Sulcov told Patch that the fire department has been making numerous calls to apartments, houses and businesses for frozen and broken pipes that are the result of this week's frigid temperatures. According to Sulcov, whenever any fire protection systems -- such as a sprinkler system -- is inoperable due to a broken pipe, the fire department assigns fire wardens to the site until the problem is fixed. Sulcov reported that the Best Western Hotel on Route 4 experienced a broken sprinkler pipe that had frozen and burst due to the low temperatures. "Many of these pipes are located in areas that are not well insulated," Sulcov said. "And when you couple that with days of consistent below-freezing temperatures, pipes …
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Mark Sulcov, William Chiappane and Christopher Ipek took over the duties of Fort Lee Fire Chief, Deputy Chief and Battalion Chief, respectively, on Jan. 1 and will be officially sworn in on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m.
- POLICE & FIRE
Wednesday, January 16
The Fort Lee Fire Department has a new chief, but he won’t be officially sworn in for another month. Mark Sulcov, who served as Deputy Fire Chief in 2012, assumed the duties of Chief of the local fire department on Jan. 1, replacing Keith Sabatino, who served in the role last year. The official swearing in of the Fort Lee Fire Department’s chiefs and officers for 2013 will take place on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. in Borough Hall. William Chiappane will be sworn in as Deputy Chief, along with Christopher Ipek, who has taken over the duties of Battalion Chief for 2013.
Monday, October 29, 2012
Fire Chief Keith Sabatino cautions residents to stay inside, "Downed wires and fallen trees make for extremely dangerous conditions."
Borough officials report that most residents north of the George Washington Bridge are without power. So are residents in the south side of town along Abbott Boulevard. The Hampshire House Apartments and parts of the Horizon House are also currently powerless. As of midnight, PSE&G is reporting between 5,001 and 10,000 customers without power in Fort Lee according to its power outage map. It is uncertain at this time when power will be restored. PSE&G had to cease any overnight repairs as wind gusts reached over 45mph. Crews will begin repair work around 8am Tuesday morning. Officials are reporting that many trees and wires have fallen around town making borough roads impassable. The police and fire department responded to a call of a …
Saturday, October 13, 2012
Outgoing Chief, Keith Sabatino, recognizes the membership of the department and all who support them.
The annual fire department dinner was held at the Alpine Country Club October 6 to celebrate those volunteers who "answer the call" day and night and in all kinds of weather for the residents of Fort Lee. Outgoing Chief Keith Sabatino called to order all of the members, recognizing the tradition of the Fort Lee Fire Department and recognizing their years of contribution to the town. Mayor Mark Sokolich praised the firefighters for their continual commitment to service to the residents of Fort Lee and, along with the council, presented Sabatino with an award recognizing his year as chief. The members of Hook & Ladder Co. 3 shared a special moment with life member Artie Schnackenberg as they gathered around him for a company picture.
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Fire Company No. 4 held a dedication to unveil steel from the World Trade Center that they incorporated into a memorial garden.
On the eve of 9/11, Fort Lee's Fire Company No. 4 held a dedication to unveil a piece of steel from the World Trade Center that they have incorporated into a memorial garden. Mayor Mark Sokolich, along with Councilmen Harvey Sohmer and Mike Sargenti, took part in the ceremony during which they shared their recollections of that unforgettable day, 11 years ago.
Sunday, July 22, 2012
To honor the memory of those who sacrificed their lives on 9/11, Keith Sabatino uses social media to create a social movement.
Buying coffee for the person standing in line behind you at Starbucks. Allowing someone else to take that prime parking spot you had been waiting for at the mall. Buying cold bottled water for a road repair crew. These are just some of the random acts of kindness performed last year on the tenth anniversary of 9/11 by those people who participated in the first "Pay It Forward," a Facebook event created by Fort Lee Fire Chief Keith Sabatino to honor those who sacrificed their lives on September 11, 2001, especially the 343 firefighters. "Firefighters go into burning buildings and help people they don't know and they don't look for anything in return," Sabatino said. "Pay It Forward is based on that concept—do a random act of kindness for …
Monday, July 16, 2012
The fire began Sunday morning with a transformer that blew on Old Palisade Road, forcing Main Street businesses to close and even one Fort Lee firehouse to lose power. But fire officials said power was restored to the area as of late Sunday night.
Power was fully restored late Sunday night after an underground electrical fire closed a portion of Main Street earlier in the day, briefly leaving about 250 homes and businesses without power, officials said. “I believe everything was 100 percent back to normal as of late last night,” said Fort Lee Fire Chief Keith Sabatino Monday morning. On Sunday officials said black smoke was “pouring out” of a sidewalk vent from an underground vault that houses electrical wires on Main Street. Sabatino said the fire was likely the result of a transformer blowout at 200 Old Palisade Rd., and that when PSE&G cut the power to that building, there may have been a "back feed" up Main Street, which caused the underground fire. There was another …
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Fire began with a transformer that blew on Old Palisade Rd.; businesses closed until further notice.
An underground electrical fire closed a portion of Main Street from Center Ave. to Gerome Ave. and briefly left about 250 homes and businesses without power Sunday morning. Officials said that black smoke was "pouring out" of a sidewalk vent from an underground vault that houses electrical wires on the south side of Main St. in front of Gateaux Bakery. According to Fort Lee Fire Chief Keith Sabatino, the fire originated from a transformer that blew out at 200 Old Palisade Rd. Sabatino said that when PSE&G cut the power to that building there may have been a "back feed" up Main Street causing the underground electrical fire. "PSE&G might have tripped a fuse when they cut power to the building," Sabatino said. A PSE&G spokesperson said …