Macculloch Hall Historical Museum in partnership with the
New Jersey Civil War Sesquicentennial Committee (NJCW150) presents a major
exhibit, “Gone for a Soldier:” Jerseymen
in the Civil War, which is on view at the museum until July 1, 2012. This
exhibit commemorates the participation and heroism of Jerseymen in a major turning
point in U.S.
Until now, many of the stories of the major contributions of
Jerseymen to the Civil War effort have remained untold. “Gone for a Soldier:”
Jerseymen in the Civil War makes a major contribution toward telling these
stories. The exhibit brings together for the first time nearly two hundred objects
from the Civil War from over thirty museums, historical societies, and private
collections. Among the many objects in the exhibit illustrating the
significance of Jerseymen’s actions in the Civil War is an 1862 bullet struck
canteen, on loan from the Cape
May County Museum. Lower
Township resident Swain Reeves was a
corporal in Company A, 7th N.J. Volunteer Infantry and was wounded at Gettysburg in July, 1863 and again at Petersburg in June, 1864. The last wound
confined him to Lincoln Hospital in Washington,
D.C. and he was discharged from
the service in October, 1864. Reeves credited his canteen for deflecting the
bullet that struck him at Petersburg
and preventing an even more severe injury.
Also on exhibit is an 1863 wool Hussar jacket from the 3rd
N.J. Cavalry on loan from a private collection. Christened "The 1st U. S.
Hussars" the 3rd NJ Volunteer Cavalry’s eye-catching and distinctly
European uniform was based on those worn by the troopers of Austria. Due to its extra trimmings
and decorations, the uniform cost $3 more than the standard cavalry garb.
Understandably, the horsemen from New
Jersey were nicknamed "the butterflies" by
their comrades. However, the regiment proved to be adept fighters and saw hard
service with the Cavalry Corps of the Army of the Potomac in the Shenandoah
Valley and through to the war's end at Appomattox.
Museum has its own
connections to Civil War history. Lindley Hoffman Miller, son of U.S. Senator
Jacob Miller and grandson of George and Louisa Macculloch, led the First
Regiment of Arkansas Volunteers of African Descent. Commissioned as a captain in 1863, Miller
shared his war experience through letters to his family, which are on special
display at the museum this February. The
museum also holds the largest single collection of Thomas Nast original works
in the United States.
Among this collection are many of Nast’s drawings of Civil War subjects such as
A Gallant Color-Bearer (Harper’s Weekly, September 20, 1862) and The Drummer
Boy of Our Regiment in Action (Harper’s Weekly, December 19, 1863), which were
generally thought to influence the course of the war.
A Civil War Lecture Series in conjunction with the exhibit
will be held monthly. Full details about
the lectures, book signings, and family-friendly events can be viewed on the
museum’s website and Facebook events page.
The New Jersey Sesquicentennial Committee, commemorating the
150th anniversary of the American Civil War, a volunteer
organization working for increased awareness and recognition of New Jersey’s important role in the Civil war, has been
recognized by the New Jersey Governor and both houses of the New Jersey legislature.
Museum preserves the
history of the Macculloch-Miller families, the Morris
area community, and the legacy of its founder W. Parsons Todd through its
historic site, collections, exhibits, and educational and cultural programs. The
Museum is open to tour the house and view exhibits on Wednesdays, Thursdays
& Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. General Admission: Adults $8; Seniors &
Students $6; Children 6 – 12 $4. Members and children under 5 are free. The
last tickets for admission are sold at 3 p.m. School tours, adult/senior tours
and rentals may be scheduled by appointment. For information, call the Museum
weekdays at (973) 538-2404 ext. 10, visit our website www.maccullochhall.org or
find us on Facebook. Macculloch Hall
Historical Museum, 45 Macculloch
NJ 07960. Macculloch
Museum is a nonprofit
educational affiliate of the W. Parsons Todd Foundation.