Fort Lee Mayor’s Update: Curfew Remains in Effect, Expect Power Within 3 Days
Mayor Mark Sokolich is distributing public notices daily, updating Fort Lee residents in the aftermath of Sandy.
Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich issued a public notice Saturday and another one on Sunday, updating the community on power restoration, road clearance and other issues of concern to residents in the aftermath of Sandy.
Among the mayor’s updates were the following:
- A borough-wide curfew remains in effect; no pedestrian traffic is allowed between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- All downed power lines are to be considered dangerous because they may still be live
- The latest estimate for PSE&G to restore power was two to three days as of Saturday, with some areas taking less time and others more.
- Most roads have been clear; borough officials are aware of all roads that are blocked and will clear them as soon as possible.
- The Fort Lee Community Center remains open with generator power from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. for people to charge electronic devices.
- Garbage pickup has resumed.
- Emergency service agencies are fully staffed and operating 24/7; residents should only use 911 for emergencies.
- Most gas stations do not have power and are therefore unable to pump gas, but for those that do, a gas rationing program is in effect by order of the governor depending on whether your license plate ends in an odd or an even number.
Sokolich said Fort Lee officials distributed more than 2,000 copies of the public notice to 10 different buildings Saturday and met with “as many residents as possible,” noting that people are getting frustrated.
“I implore everyone to remain calm and respectful of each other, borough employees and emergency personnel,” Sokolich says in the notice. “All borough employees … will continue to be stretched to the absolute maximum to maintain peace and order, clear roads, remove debris and respond to multiple emergency calls.”
You can view the mayor’s entire updates from Saturday, Nov. 3 and Sunday, Nov. 4 by clicking on the PDFs to the right of this article.